For periods of study over 90 days, Study Visa type “D”

How do I apply for a visa?

Before applying for a visa for study purposes, we advise you to check the documentation required on the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.

Requesting D Type visa for study in Italy has to be done through the UNIVERSITALY web platform where you will indicate University of Naples Federico II as host institution and EMJMD SEAS 4.0. In STEP C of the procedure you will have to upload the following documents:

  1. Your passport, the document has to be valid at least for other 3 months after the planned date of exit from Schengen Area,
  2. Letter of Admission,
  3. Proof of place of residence,
  4. Certified copy of the transcript of records of all courses (in English) and of the highest degree obtained,
  5. Copy of Language Certificate (not required if you are English native speaker or your previous studies were held in English).

After the verification, the University of Naples will notify the local Italian Embassy as indicated by you on the web platform.

Please, check on where is your nearest Embassy, documents required and administrative costs of the VISA procedure. Please note, that these costs are not covered by the scholarship. For obtaining your VISA it will be generally requested:

  • to fill the VISA request form;
  • Passport;
  • Admission Letter from University and a document to proof (the present “Letter of admission to Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree in Sustainable ship and shipping 4.0” could be used to absolve both the aims.)
  • Flight booking and Hotel or Accommodation reservation.

Please contact directly your Embassy to be informed of additional documents required.

If you do not have a document indicating a scholarship or similar, you must show a bank statement of your current account giving your personal details and the details of the Bank. If you share an account with your parents, they need to attach a declaration to their bank statement, stating that they consent to your use of their current account (affidavit). The bank statement must be original. For any further information see the  Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.

Schengen Area travel

If you have a Long Stay Visa (Visa Type D, i.e. valid for more than 90 days) and a residence permit, you can travel freely for a period of max 3 months in any 6-month period to the other Schengen states*.
You are reminded to report your presence to the police authorities in the other Schengen territory within 3 working days of entry.
*Schengen States: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Luxemburg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, Slovenia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Malta.

Source: Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Home Affairs, Italian Police

Regarding staying in Croatia, further information can be found on